Converting from local -> UTC

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jul 17 13:55:44 EDT 2008

On 2008-07-16 20:00, Keith Hughitt wrote:
> Thanks Gabriel!
>
> That helps clear things up for me. The above method works very well. I
> only have one remaining question:
> How can I pass a datetime object to MySQL?'
>
> So far, what I've been doing is building the query as a string, for
> example:
>
> query = "INSERT INTO image VALUES(%d, %d, %s, '%s')" % (id, meas,
> date, 'jpg')
> cursor.execute(query)

Use binding parameters and it should work:

query = "INSERT INTO image VALUES(%d, %d, %s, '%s')"
cursor.execute(query, (id, meas, date, 'jpg'))

Database interfaces typically do not support timezones, so I'm not
sure why you are making things more complicated by adding a timezone
to the date/time value.