(silly?) speed comparisons

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jul 8 22:21:31 EDT 2008

mk wrote:
> Out of curiosity I decided to make some speed comparisons of the same
> algorithm in Python and C++. Moving slices of lists of strings around
> seemed like a good test case.

If you use Python to, in effect, call well-written C functions, and most
of the computation time is spent in the C functions, then the total time
may be less than using C++ to call C or C++ functions that have not been
as heavily optimized.  (Python is nearly 2 decades old, and several
people have perused the code base looking for speedups.)