Standard module for parsing emails?

Thu Jul 31 18:25:23 EDT 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:25:37 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:11:45 -0700, Phillip B Oldham wrote:
>
>> Most clients use ">" which is easy to check for, but I've seen some
>> which use "|" and some which *don't* quote at all. Its causing us
>> nightmares in parsing responses to system-generated emails. I was
>> hoping someone might've seen the problem previously and released some
>> code.
>
> My sympathies.
>
> I've even seen clients that prefix new (unquoted) text with the quote
> character ">".

Well, this is a new one I've never seen before: found on the python-dev
mailing list, somebody who (apparently) marks quoted text by inserting a
bare quote character on an otherwise empty line after each line of text,
similar to this:

I've even seen clients that prefix new (unquoted) text with the quote

character ">".

The user in question seems to be using gmail. I suspect a PEBCAK error.

--
Steven