ActiveState Code (the new Python Cookbook) has been launched

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Mon Jul 28 13:45:41 EDT 2008

On 28 Jul., 18:55, Trent Mick <tre... at activestate.com> wrote:
> Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> > Trent Mick <tre... at activestate.com> wrote:
> >>  I happy to announce that ActiveState Code has been taken out of beta.
> >>  This is the new site replacing the ASPN Cookbooks -- in particular the
> >>  Python Cookbook.
>
> >>    http://code.activestate.com/
>
> > Looks great and much faster than the old site!
>
> Thanks!
>
> > Mind telling us how it is implemented?  I'm guessing python/django by
> > the url and the fact that you have python stuff on your home pages but
> > I could be wrong!
>
> Yup, it is a Django-based site -- a pleasure to work with, that. Using
> django-tagging, django-template-utils & universal feedparser (for
> hooking in Atom content for News section on home page), django-voting,
> python-markdown2 (for rendering comments, discussion/descriptions),
> recaptcha-client (for feedback when not logged in), pygments (for syntax
> coloring).
>
> I've just submitted the site tohttp://www.djangosites.org/
>
> I hope to do some blog posts about some parts of the site soon and
> release the small re-usable "feedback" app I've put together for getting
> feedback on the site.
>
> Cheers,
> Trent
>
> --
> Trent Mick
> trentm at activestate.com

Hmm... overview is lost on the new site. My 15" notebook does not even
display 3 full recipes in a firefox browser window ( with some tabs
being opened ). I didn't check out the site on my 12" notebook but I
suspect it tends to be close to 1. Otherwise the whole screen is
filled with administrative debris which is a pitty.

The dialogs seem to be pretty responsive and straightforward though. I
used "submit recipe", typed my login data and got the input form
immediately - instead of the main page (!) in the old system which was
gruesome in this respect.