sage vs enthought for sci computing

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 18:47:01 EDT 2008

jadamwilson2 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I have recently become interested in using python for scientific
> computing, and came across both sage and enthought. I am curious if
> anyone can tell me what the differences are between the two, since
> there seems to be a lot of overlap (from what I have seen). If my goal
> is to replace matlab (we do signal processing and stats on
> physiological data, with a lot of visualization), would sage or
> enthought get me going quicker? I realize that this is a pretty vague
> question, and I can probably accomplish the same with either, but what
> would lead me to choose one over the other?

Scipy or the new x-y distro is almost identical like MatLab ( but you'll
miss the var browser),
and therefor get started faster.

I've the same kind of applications and support medical researchers with
collecting and analyzing physio data.
About 2 years ago I wasn't satisfied with MatLab anymore,
so I looked at LabView, SciLab, Octave and a few others,
and decided to stay with Matlab, but embed it in my own shell.
Worked with that for about half a year,
then I tried Scipy (also embedded) and found it much better than MatLab.
At the moment I switched totally to Python,
and I'm working on a Labview like environment for Python.

hopes that helps,
cheers,
Stef