py2exe issues with pictures and icons

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 17:20:06 EDT 2008

On Jul 16, 3:22 pm, Alexnb <alexnbr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexnb wrote:
>
> > Mike Driscoll wrote:

> >> Put the part of the code that needs the ico file(s) into a try/except
> >> block. You could also try reading the py2exe wiki and tutorials. This
> >> one looks like it has relevant data:
>
> >>http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/CustomIcons
>
> >> Mike
> >> --
>
> > Well, that may solve the icon problem. But what about getting pictures in
> > there?
>
> Okay, the icon fix didn't really fix it, what it did was make the .exe have
> the icon as the little picture for the shortcut, but it isn't really a
> shortcut. Whatever. But, I went and ran it on another computer and this was
> the error log it created right off the bat.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "The GUI.py", line 696, in <module>
>   File "Tkinter.pyc", line 1515, in wm_iconbitmap
> _tkinter.TclError: bitmap "C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My
> Documents\PYTHON\DictionaryApp\Windows.ico" not defined
>
> --

Crumb! I actually use a GUI wrapper for py2exe called GUI2Exe which
makes this sort of thing much easier. Unfortunately, it also makes me
less knowledgeable. You can check it out here:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/GUI2Exe.html

Also, there's a distutils group and a py2exe group. Both of them would
know a lot more about how to do this.