Attack a sacred Python Cow

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Sun Jul 27 15:03:40 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 12:06:05AM -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
> There is no requirement to have 'self' in the parameter list.

But there is a requirement to have *something* which refers to the
object instance.  Why can't this be implicit with a keyword defined in
python to refer to it?

> So the proposal would have to be that the compiler scan the function
> body and decide which dotted name prefix is the one to be implicitly
> added.  Have fun writing the discovery algorithm.

That's crazy talk.

> Or the proposal would have to be that 'self' is mandatory for all
> programmers in all languages.  I think *that* would be pernicious.
> People are now free to write the more compact 's.sum = s.a + s.b + s.c'

s = self

There, your problem is fixed.  Besides, in general, it's better
programming practie to use meaningful names, with fairly obvious and
well-understood exceptions.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/