Angle brackets in command-line arguments?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 16 11:07:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:53:56 -0700, Keith Hughitt wrote:

> I am using someone else's script which expects input in the form of:
>
>      ./script.py <arg1> arg2
>
> I was wondering if the angle-brackets here have a special meaning? It
> seems like they specify an input and output stream to use in place of the
> console. I could not find anything in the python manual or Python in a
> Nut-shell though.
>
> Anyone know?

That's not Python's business but the command shell's.  Those characters
are used for redirecting input and ouput from/to files in shells, so it
should be covered in the documentation of the shell you are using.
Including ways to protect the characters, so they reach the called program
in arguments.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch