(silly?) speed comparisons

mk mrkafk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 10:53:39 EDT 2008

Maric Michaud wrote:
> Le Wednesday 09 July 2008 12:35:10 mk, vous avez écrit :
>> vector<string> move_slice(vector<string>& vec, int start, int stop, int
>> dest)
>
> I guess the point is to make a vector of referene to string if  you don't want
> to copy string objects all around but just a word for an address each time.
>
> The signature should be :
> vector<string&> move_slice(vector<string&>& vec, int start, int stop, int
> dest)
>
> or
>
> vector<string*> move_slice(vector<string*>& vec, int start, int stop, int
> dest)

That matters too, but I just found, the main culprit was _returning the
list instead of returning the reference to list_.

The difference is staggering - some 25 sec vs 0.2 sec:

$ time slice6

real    0m0.191s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.030s

#include <list>
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

list<string*>& move_slice(list<string*>& slist, int start, int stop, int
dest)
{
	int idx;
	if( dest > stop)
		idx = dest - (stop - start);
	else
		idx = dest;

	int i;
	list<string*>::iterator startiter;
	list<string*>::iterator enditer;
	list<string*>::iterator destiter;

	startiter = slist.begin();
	destiter = slist.begin();

	for (i = 0; i < start; i++)
		startiter++;
	enditer = startiter;

	for (i = start; i < stop; i++)
		enditer++;

	for (i = 0; i < dest; i++)
		destiter++;

	slist.splice(destiter, slist, startiter, enditer);

/*	cout << "frag " << endl;
	for (startiter = frag.begin(); startiter != frag.end(); startiter ++)
		cout << *startiter << " ";
	cout << endl;*/

/*	cout << " after: ";
	for (startiter = slist.begin(); startiter != slist.end(); startiter++)
		cout << *startiter << " ";
	cout << endl;*/

	return slist;
}

int main(int argc, char* argv)
{
	list<string *> slice;
	string u =
"abcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghij";
	int pos;
	for (pos = 0; pos < u.length(); pos++)
		slice.push_back(new string(u));
	int i;
	//for (i = 0; i<1000000; i++)

	/*list<string>::iterator startiter;
	cout << "before: ";
	for (startiter = slice.begin(); startiter != slice.end(); startiter++)
		cout << *startiter << " ";
	cout << endl;*/

	for (int i = 0; i<1000000; i++)
		move_slice(slice, 4, 6, 7);