Generating list of possible configurations

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 22:09:54 EDT 2008

On Jul 3, 7:51 pm, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:

> On Jul 3, 6:24 pm, George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Taking into account 2.6 too (we're not talking about only 3.0 here),
> > probably not much less than those who even know what is gmpy, let
> > alone dismiss a beta Python release because their obscure pet module
> > is not available yet.
>
> That was just an example. When you consider ALL the pet
> modules like PIL, Numpy, Win32, etc., that's a lot, isn't it.

A few points:
- The OP acknowledged he's a newbie, and as a newbie he'll probably
spend some time getting used to the language and the standard library
before jumping to the dozens 3rd party packages.
- I am sure many Python users are productive without ever touching an
external package; that is after all the point of "batteries included".
- Even if they do have external dependencies, chances are that they
are pure Python modules, which typically work without modification on
new 2.x versions.

> I was just trying to be helpful (I admit I often sound
> negative when I'm not trying to be).

Well, something like "Until then, such solutions are worthless, i.e.,
of no value" is too strong, subjective and biased to be really
helpful.

George