derivative in numpy

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Mon Jul 28 18:58:37 EDT 2008

knielsen73 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to do a simple derivative. I would expect such a function
> to be available in numpy, but can't find it. I have written my own,
> but just curious if anybody knows of such function in numpy.

Derivatives are a property of functions. Since numpy provides
representations of arrays not functions, how would you expect this to work?

To be more concrete, what you you expect the derivative of
[ [ 1 2 ]
[ 3 4 ]
]
to be?

Or do you have in mind some array representation of the coefficients of
a function of some pre-defined type - like a polynomial?

Gary Herron