Reportlab Image object opens filehandles

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Tue Jul 8 17:49:00 EDT 2008

Daniel de Sousa Barros wrote:
> Hi Mr Robin,
>
> I saw your post:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-September/224781.html
>
> I'm trying to append more than 1000 images into one PDF report, but i get the IOError: Too many...
>
> know you a solution for it?
>
> Sorry by my english.... i'm brazilian and i'm learning english yet...

====================
If you are using Microsoft:

First reaction:  Increase the system pagefile (virtual memory) size.

Assuming lots of spare disk space you could change it to the 'on demand'
or 'let system handle it' setting.  I don't know about Vista but the
rest top out about 4(or 2?)Gig per pagefile per disk. Forgot which.

I don't know what imagery handling software you have, but if able, you
could consider 1) resizing images to final printed paper display size
and 2) make sure they are at or below 200dpi and jpeg in format before
entering them into the report.

If you are in Linux:

see the man pages on mkswap and swapon.  Use files for swapspace. Easy
to create, easier to remove. Don't need to reconfigure hard drive. Can
be on another mounted drive.  Use AbiWord or OpenOffice to set up text
pictures and all, print to file (will be a postscript) and use ghostview
(gv) to check results then use ghostscript (gs) to convert to pdf. Final
review in xpdf.  ImageMagic's convert will do the image manipulations
mentioned in last paragraph of Microsoft section and then some.  All
programs mentioned in the Linux section plus the operating system are
free for the download.

Steve
norseman at hughes.net