Questions on 64 bit versions of Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 27 14:31:07 EDT 2008

> - AMD64 (or x86-64 or x64 or EMT64 or Intel64) is a 64-bit instruction
> set from AMD which is an extension to the i386 instruction set, and runs
> 32-bit (and 16-bit) i386-code natively. But, and this is important,
> despite the name the instruction set is also used by Intel (though they
> call it EMT64 and made a few minor changes).

Indeed, there are (unfortunately) many names for the architecture.
Originally, AMD called it x86-64, and later renamed it to AMD64. Intel
originally implemented it under the name EM64T (for Extended Memory 64
Technology), and now calls the architecture Intel 64.

Microsoft (apparently not wanting to take sides) calls it x64.

I personally believe that whoever invents a technology also
gets to name it, so I encourage use of the name AMD gives it
(which is AMD64). That's why the Python installer has that label
in its name.

Regards,
Martin