One step up from str.split()

Joel Koltner zapwireDASHgroups at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 21:33:18 EDT 2008

I normally use str.split() for simple splitting of command line arguments, but
I would like to support, e.g., long file names which-- under windows -- are
typically provided as simple quoted string.  E.g.,

myapp --dosomething --loadthis "my file name.fil"

...and I'd like to get back a list wherein ListEntry[3]="my file name.fil" ,
but just running str.split() on the above string creates:

>>> ListEntry='myapp --dosomething --loadthis "my file name.fil"'
>>> ListEntry.split()
['myapp', '--dosomething', '--loadthis', '"my', 'file', 'name.fil"']

Is there an easy way to provide just this one small additional feature
(keeping quoted names as a single entry) rather than going to a full-blown
command-line argument parsing tool?  Even regular expressions seem like they'd
probably be overkill here?  Or no?

Thanks,
---Joel