What is the role of python2.6 and C++?

cokofreedom at gmail.com cokofreedom at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 04:24:09 EDT 2008

On Jul 21, 10:17 am, "甜瓜" <littlesweetme... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm confused about the motivation of releasing python2.6 and python3.0
> at the *same* time. IMO, 2.6 should be compatible with 2.5 while 3.0
> is new style python. Currenly, most python projects works fine in 2.5.
> When 3.0 becomes final release, those projects will be gradually moved
> to 3.0. But even without the intermediate version 2.6, project
> transformation with be smooth enough, and then 2.5, 2.6 will be
> replaced by 3.0. I will not spend any time on studying 2.6. So why
> does python development team put many efforts on 2.6? What is the role
> of 2.6?
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> ShenLei

2.6 is meant to be a continuation of the 2.x line of Python, to
support a gradual move of larger projects over to the Python 3.x
series. The idea is that as Python 3.x will cause some major and minor
changes to the basics of Python as we currently know it, trying to
move everyone straight away will be problematic.

Therefore the point is there will be a 2.7, 2.8 and so forth until
there is almost no difference between
the 2.x and 3.x at which time most users will have moved to the 3.x
series and the 2.x can be discontinued.

I will program larger projects in 2.5 for a while and then perhaps
look to move it to 2.6 and 2.7, I won't touch the 3.x series until it
is the common choice, much as a lot of people still program in 2.3/4.