How do web templates separate content and logic?

TheDarkTrumpet dthole at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:21:34 EDT 2008

Another thing I'd like to add on this subject.

I agree with others here that having logic in the view isn't really a
bad thing.  I used to think it did, but now I don't think it does as
much.  I feel that when you're separating out the view, you're giving
really non-programmers the ability to actually do the content.  That
doesn't mean that non-programmers can't learn very very basic
programming logic.  Take, for example, the Django code.  The Django
template system is a very watered down version of a language.  It
supports very basic stuff, and I feel that really anyone can pick up
on it.

By totally separating out the logic, and using tags, you're adding a
lot of overhead in my opinion.  It's another file that needs to be
included, and the logic of how it's displayed on the page is then
split a bit - between the developer and the designer.  If the designer
feels that they want only 5 products to show on one page, they should
be able to change it.

THis is how I feel on the whole idea anyways.