Attack a sacred Python Cow

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Jul 24 08:51:20 EDT 2008

Jordan a écrit :
> OK, it seems my original reply to Bruno got lost in the Aether
> (apologies therefore if a paraphrased "quantum duplicate" of this
> message is eventually forthcoming.)
>
> Torsten has adequately responded to his second point,

Not MHO, by far.

> so I need only
> replicated what I said for the first.
>
>> Please get your facts, the behaviour *is* actually fully documented:
>
> I have the facts. I know full well the behaviour is documented

Then why do you write, let me quote:

"""
(snip) coding __eq__ (snip) buys you
nothing from the != operator. != isn't (by default) a synonym for the
negation of == (unlike in, say, every other language ever); not only
will Python let you make them mean different things, without
documenting this fact - it actively encourages you to do so.
"""

>- it
> was pointed out at the time of the original discussion. Documenting a
> confusing, unintuitive design decision (whether its in a programming
> language, an end user GUI app or anything in between) doesn't justify
> it.

I was not commenting on the actual design choice, just stating that it
is actually documented.

> To attack a strawman: "foolanguage uses the bar IO library; printing
> to stdout takes about 10 mins on the average machine. But thats ok,
> because look, its documented right here."

And you're talking about strawman ??? Come on, you obviously can tell
the difference between a one-line statement and your above strawman
argument, don't you ?

Please understand that I'm not arguing about this particular design
choice (and FWIW, I'd mostly agree on the point that having a != b
different from not (a == b) is actually a wart). I'm just correcting
your statement about the behaviour of __eq__ / __ne__ not being
documented, which is obviously false.

(snip)