error when porting C code to Python (bitwise manipulation)

Jordan JordanNealBerg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:56:59 EDT 2008

I am trying to rewrite some C source code for a poker hand evaluator
in Python.  Putting aside all of the comments such as just using the C
code, or using SWIG, etc.  I have been having problems with my Python
code not responding the same way as the C version.

C verison:

unsigned find_fast(unsigned u)
{
    unsigned a, b, r;
    u += 0xe91aaa35;
    u ^= u >> 16;
    u += u << 8;
    u ^= u >> 4;
    b  = (u >> 8) & 0x1ff;
    a  = (u + (u << 2)) >> 19;
    r  = a ^ hash_adjust[b];
    return r;
}

my version (Python, hopefully ;)):

def find_fast(u):
    u += 0xe91aaa35
    u ^= u >> 16
    u += u << 8
    u ^= u >> 4
    b  = (u >> 8) & 0x1ff
    a  = (u + (u << 2)) >> 19
    r  = a ^ hash_adjust[b]
    return r

As far as I understand the unsigned instructions in C just increase
amount of bytes the int can hold, and Python automatically converts to
longs which have infinite size when necessary, so I am not sure why I
am getting different results.

I assume that I am missing something fairly simple here, so help a
n00b out if you can :)

Thanks in advance,

jnb