Questions on 64 bit versions of Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 26 12:55:40 EDT 2008

>> The Microsoft .NET commercial framework uses the PE architecture of the
>
> Whats the "Commercial framework" ? I've only come accross 3, the
> standard 32 bit one and 2 64 bit variants.

That's the name of the Microsoft .NET product available for Windows.
There are other implementations as well, such as the Compact Framework,
or GNU Mono.

It's correct that the commercial framework is available for three
architectures. In addition, the compact framework is also available
for ARM. Mono is available for many more platforms, such as SPARC,
PowerPC, MIPS and HPPA.

> I just tested, I built a default C# forms app using the "AnyCPU" option
> and it ran as a 64 bit app (no *32 in Task Manager), this is on XP64.
>
> I have though installed the AMD64 version of the 2.0 framework and
> AFAICT neither windows update or the Visual Studio installer
> will install that by default, you have to go get it your self.

Interesting. I only tested this in .NET 1.1. Perhaps they have changed
something since. How exactly did you launch the program? Does it change
if you use Python's os.spawn* to launch it?

Regards,
Martin