Terminate a python script from linux shell / bash script

Gros Bedo gros_bedo at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 18:51:18 EDT 2008

Hello :-)

I have a question about Python and Linux shell. I have a python program which is permanently resident in the end-user system. I'm currently producing a RPM package, and it works nicely. The problem is that when I uninstall it, my program keeps running in the background, even if the files are deleted.

I know I can terminate python shell directly, but this is not a good idea because the end-user may be working with another important python application, and would be very angry if mine would close everything that is using python shell.

So, is there a way from the Linux shell or a bash script to terminate just one specific Python script ?