% sign in python?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jul 17 15:42:38 EDT 2008

korean_dave wrote:
> What does this operator do? Specifically in this context
>
> test.log( "[[Log level %d: %s]]" % ( level, msg ), description )
>
> (Tried googling and searching, but the "%" gets interpreted as an
> operation and distorts the search results)

Having seen a number of comments like this over the years (about the
difficulty of searching for symbol meanings), I just started, last
night, a symbol index listing nearly all Python syntax uses of
non-alpha-or-digit ascii symbols.  When I finish and upload it
somewhere, I will post an announcement with the link.

tjr