Newbie question

A.T.Hofkamp hat at se-162.se.wtb.tue.nl
Wed Jul 9 05:04:21 EDT 2008

On 2008-07-09, |e0 <p0q0b0d at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, i can't use wmi module on linux?
>
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Lamonte Harris <pyth0nc0d3r at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the win32 module is only for windows.

Welcome to the world outside MS.

Many python modules don't actually do anything than passing on calls to an
existing underlying library. They are cheap to make, and make it possible to
use the functionality of the library from a Python program. The down-side is,
as you have discovered, that you need the underlying library to make it work.

So, the answer is no, you cannot use wmi under a non-MS OS. (But what did you
expect, given that wmi means WINDOWS Management Instrumentation?) No doubt
there are also open source variants of this package, however, I am not familiar
with them, so I cannot help you.

Albert