POP3 - Using poplib only shows the first few hundred messages in the mailbox

SteveC sbcook at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 08:18:44 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to use POP3_SSL class of the poplib module to read email
from my gmail account.  I can connect just fine using the example here
http://www.python.org/doc/lib/pop3-example.html

import getpass, poplib

M = poplib.POP3('localhost')
M.user(getpass.getuser())
M.pass_(getpass.getpass())
numMessages = len(M.list()[1])
for i in range(numMessages):
    for j in M.retr(i+1)[1]:
        print j

That is the above sample code from the python doc.  While everything
works fine, the problem is that when I use the list() function it only
returns about 400 messages starting from the beginning of my inbox.  I
have probably 10,000 emails in my gmail account.  I don't see any pop3
object functions to "move" around the inbox or anything of the like.

Could someone point me in the right direction?  I'm sure there must be
something simple I am missing.

Thanks,
Steve