Python XML-RPC Server with clientside Javascript

akineko akineko at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 00:57:37 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I have used Python SimpleXMLRPCServer to expose several methods to be
used.
My Python script creates a free-standing server and not a CGI script.
I have tested its exposed methods using the following Python script:

import xmlrpclib
s = xmlrpclib.ServerProxy('http://localhost:8765')
print s.my_method()

I tested all methods one by one and they are working as I intended.

Now, I want to use those exposed methods from a static html file
(without any web server) using client side javascript. (i.e. Open
File... from the browser (or file://...) )

I found many XML-RPC examples with javascript but all of them I found
assume XML-RPC services to be deliver from a web server, such as
Apache, as a CGI.

I tried those examples with placing 'http://localhost:8765' as url,
but they didn't work.

How can I utilize the XML-RPC services from a free-standing
SimpleXMLRPCServer in a static HTML page?
Is it possible to do such? Do I need web server to use client-side
javascript?

I have searched the Internet for similar questions. I found similar
postings but there were no clear answers.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Best regards,
Aki Niimura