Native Code vs. Python code for modules

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Jul 30 14:30:11 EDT 2008

koblas wrote:
> Ruby has been getting pummeled for the last year or more on the
> performance subject.  They've been working hard at improving it.  From
> my arm chair perspective Python is sitting on it's laurels and not
> taking this as seriously as it probably should.

    PyPy was supposed to help, but that project has been dragging on
for half a decade now.  Personally, I think the Shed Skin approach
is more promising.  PyPy has too many different goals, and tends
to generate lots of auxiliary tools, blogs, videos, and "sprints",
but not a usable PyPy compiler.

    We'll have to see if PyPy 1.1 works.

					John Nagle