Daemonize an application.

Robert Rawlins robert.rawlins at thinkbluemedia.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 07:10:53 EDT 2008

Guys,

I've been looking to run one of my applications as a Deamon on a linux based
system. I've been looking at this recipe this morning and it all looks
relatively fine:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/278731

I just noted that the recipe was written 5 years ago and thought I would see
if there have been any progressions in Python which allow a more native
approach to forking my application as a daemon?

I essentially want to add a command line parameter "--as-daemon" to my
application which would fork it as a daemon instead of running it as a
standard python script, I also want to ensure that stdin/out/err are all
configured in a way which means any exceptions thrown by the application or
data output to the command line, which I haven't foreseen will be stored in
a log file for review.

I'd really appreciate your advice and experience.

Cheers,

Robert