Python parsing iTunes XML/COM

william tanksley wtanksleyjr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 13:53:41 EDT 2008

To ask another way: how do I convert from a file:// URL to a local
path in a standard way, so that filepaths from two different sources
will work the same way in a dictionary?

Right now I'm using the following source:

track_id = url2pathname(urlparse(track_id).path)

url2pathname is from urllib; urlparse is from the urlparse module.

The problems occur when the filenames have non-ascii characters in
them -- I suspect that the URLs are having some encoding placed on
them that Python's decoder doesn't know about.

Thank you all in advance, and thank you for Python.

-Wm