SVN access with pysvn under Cygwin (Installation problems)

Andy Dingley dingbat at codesmiths.com
Wed Jul 30 10:46:32 EDT 2008

I'm building Python tools to wrap up access to our Subversion / SVN
source control system. It's to run on my desktop (Cygwin under Windows
XP) and then later under Redhat.

Trying to install the pysvn module I'm running into problems getting
it to work under Cygwin. Works fine from a Windows command prompt,
with both the svn_cmd.py example and my own Python code. Under Cygwin
though I just get import failures. pysvn/__init__.py   seems to be
invoked happily enough, but then fails when it tries to import
_pysvn_2_5.pyd

$ python svn_cmd.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "svn_cmd.py", line 10, in <module>
    import pysvn
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pysvn/__init__.py", line 104, in <module>
    import _pysvn_2_5
ImportError: No module named _pysvn_2_5

Is there some trick to getting .pyd to work under Cygwin?  I've tried
the obvious twiddling with environment variables (and regedit), but
I'm just guessing blindly.

Thanks for any assistance.