Problem with a for loop and a list

Alexnb alexnbryan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 04:04:29 EDT 2008

I am not sure what is going on here. Here is the code that is being run:

def getWords(self):
        self.n=0
        for entry in self.listBuffer:
            self.wordList[self.n] = entry.get()
        self.n=self.n+1

        print self.wordList

This is the "listBuffer" that you see:

self.listBuffer=[self.e1, self.e2, self.e3, self.e4,
                         self.e5, self.e6, self.e7, self.e8,
                         self.e9, self.e10, self.e11,
                         self.e12, self.e13, self.e14]

(side note, those are all tkinter entry widgets, and the get() function gets
the text)

this is the error the interpreter is giving me when I run it:

self.getWords()
  File "C:/Documents and Settings/Alex/My Documents/PYTHON/DictionaryApp/The
GUI.py", line 153, in getWords
    self.wordList[self.n] = entry.get()
IndexError: list assignment index out of range

I have no idea what "list assignment index out of range means?!?!