Python embedding question (2).

Thomas Troeger thomas.troeger.ext at siemens.com
Thu Jul 17 09:57:51 EDT 2008

> I'd say that PyGame could be a solution.
>
> Or otherwise you could do your own audio/graphics programming (you don't
> tell us which OS you use, but there exist python modules that allow you
> to do barebones graphics & sound programming on linux...).

After some more reading I've stumbled over pyglet. Any experiences with
it? It seems it does a lot of cool things, if anyone has used it more
intensely I'd be happy to hear if the following things can be done:

- Linux framebuffer (16, 24 bpp) display of 2d graphics with overlays
(i.e. menues, contextual areas that pop up etc.). I don't have X on the
embedded device, just the regular framebuffer.
- alpha blending of several layers.
- rendering of TTF fonts and unicode, for example display of arabic text
(which renders from right to left) and mixed text support like in the
unicode bidirectional algorithm.
- hardware caching of bitmaps for faster graphics operations (needed for
tool tips or similar tasks).

I'll try to find that out myself (I'm pretty excited about the thing
already ^^), but I'd be happy to hear of people who have used it already.

Cheers,
Thomas.