Getting the name of a variable which was used as a function parameter.

Ravi Kotecha kotecha.ravi at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 21 12:01:10 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

I thought this was pretty cool and since I spent 30 mins or so
goggling before giving up and figuring out myself I thought I'd share
it with you.

>>> def a(a):
...     for k,v in sys._getframe(1).f_locals.items():
...         if id(v) == id(a):
...             print k

>>> hello = 123

>>> a(hello)
hello

## pretty cool.

It's totally useless but I wanted to do it for logging purposes.  It
will still return weird results if you have two labels pointing to the
same object but I'm not sure how to get around that, any ideas?

Regards,
Ravi Kotecha