Python too slow?

Gary Duzan mgi820 at motorola.com
Wed Jan 16 12:12:56 EST 2008

In article <60b75f24-d33a-476e-932d-11dfb9880562 at v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Paul Boddie  <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

>I think the benefits of running Java on CPython are significantly less
>than those had by running Python on the Java VM (or another VM).
>Firstly, who wants to write statically typed code which then runs on a
>virtual machine that can't take advantage of the type declarations?

   I know it was a rhetorical question, but I wanted to point out
that this is exactly what happens with Java Generics. They didn't
want to update the type system in the JVM, so all the generic types
get thrown out by the compiler in favor of non-generic types, and
casts are inserted as necessary. Practicality wins over Purity
again.

					Gary Duzan
					Motorola HNM