Recieving emails in python

mobiledreamers at gmail.com mobiledreamers at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 01:49:39 EST 2008

ok i dont want to write an mta
i want to use another mta
to recieve emails on say -

python at mygrouplist.com

so can i start reading the emails to python from that mta

How to set this up to read messages from the mta

sending out email
we are using sendmail so we ll continue using that for now
thanks
It depends.

If you're trying to write a MTA, think about looking at and stealing
parts of mailmain and smtpd.py

Mailman: http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html
Smtpd:http://barry.warsaw.us/software/Code/smtpd.py

If you're going to use someone else as a MTA then just use IMAP or POP
to get the mail out, there are IMAP and POP libraries

imap: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-imaplib.html
pop: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-poplib.html

Else, if you're writing this all from scratch, whip out the RFC and
start hacking:
http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc821.txt

        --Michael