looking for a light weighted library/tool to write simple GUI above the text based application

Hexamorph hexamorph at gmx.net
Fri Jan 25 17:09:38 EST 2008

Lorenzo E. Danielsson wrote:
> petr.jakes.tpc at gmail.com wrote:

>> I think I was not specific/clear enough in my first posting. I know
>> the curses library ( http://pyncurses.sourceforge.net ). It AFIK
>> provides TUI (short for: Text User Interface or Textual User
>> Interface). My needs are GUI, I mean "a nice VGA pictures" on the VGA
>> LCD 10" display.
>>
>> Petr
>
> What you need then is something like SVGAlib (http;//svgalib.org). Only
> really old people like myself know that it exists. I've never heard of
> any Python bindings for it, but that might be where you come in. I
> haven't looked at SVGAlib for years, and I'm not sure about the state of
> the video drivers.

I don't think that there's a Python binding for it. Svgalib never
has gained enough popularity for anybody to write such bindings.
However, as long as the video card supports VGA or VESA it should work.

Another possibility might be using Xvesa (KDrive) which is a really
tiny self-containing X server for VGA/SVGA/FBdev. With this you can
atleast use simple GUI toolkits like Athena or TK or even use Xlib
directly (if you don't fear that adventure)

See:
http://www.xfree86.org/current/Xvesa.1.html
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html

HTH