py2exe and modules question

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Jan 22 01:14:10 EST 2008

azrael <jura.grozni at gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm working on an  application and i'm having some questions. I am
>working with python 2.5, numpy and PIL. does anyone know if there are
>some problems while compiling the source because of the modules.. It
>has to be closed source.

What does that mean to you?

>I didn't try Py2exe but I heard about it. Is there any other and
>better way to compile the source.

It isn't really "compiled".  What all of the Python-to-executable apps do
is bundle up your script, all of its modules, the Python interpreter DLL,
and any DLLs they might need, and shove them in a single file (.zip, in the
py2exe case).  The parts get extracted for execution.

The distribution will still contain the .pyc files, and there are tools
that can decompile a .pyc without much trouble.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.