Terminology: "script" versus "program" (was: Linux Journal Survey)

Paddy paddy3118 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 24 01:07:58 EST 2008

On 24 Jan, 04:59, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au>
wrote:
> George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Jan 23, 8:14 pm, dwb... at gmail.com wrote:
> > > The annual Linux Journal survey is online now for any Linux users
> > > who want to vote for Python.
> > >http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006101

> > 18. What is your favorite programming language?
> > (15 choices, Python not included)
>
> > 19. What is your favorite scripting language?
> > o Python
> > o Perl
> > (5 more choices)
>
> > Python is much more than a "scripting language" (whatever this
> > means, other than a semi-derogatory term used by clueless PHBs).
> > Sorry, I'll pass.
>
> I agree entirely.
>
> The term "script" has the strong connotation of a limited-purpose
> program designed to solve a problem expressed almost entirely as a
> simple series of steps. Languages that are often used to write such
> scripts are usually referred to as "scripting languages", which
> becomes a denigration because such a language need not have support
> for much else.
>
> In contrast, the term "program" (and hence "programming language")
> implies support for a much broader set of practices and solutions.
>
> This term seems quite prevalent among the Python core developers,
> unfortunately. The 'distutils' module even has the term 'script' used
> in its interface, to refer to the programs that are to be distributed.
>
> --
>  \         "Money is always to be found when men are to be sent to the |
>   `\   frontiers to be destroyed: when the object is to preserve them, |
> _o__)  it is no longer so."  -- Voltaire, _Dictionnaire Philosophique_ |
> Ben Finney

Hi George, Ben,
In the past I have taken the high ground by arguing that the usual
tasks associated with scripting are very important and that languages
like Python/Ruby can script as well as write substantial programs in
the non-scripting sense. Therefore, if their language of choice does
not encompass scripting then it is a lesser language.
'They' may look down on scripting but a lot of that is a mixture of
ignorance and envy :-)

- Paddy.