stdin, stdout, redmon

Thynnus thynnus at gNOTmail.com
Tue Jan 22 11:45:40 EST 2008

On 1/21/2008 9:02 AM, Bernard Desnoues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a problem with the use of Redmon (redirection port monitor). I
> intend to develop a virtual printer so that I can modify data sent to
> the printer.

FWIW: there is a nice update the RedMon (v1.7) called RedMon EE (v1.81)
available at http://www.is-foehr.com/ that I have used and like a lot.

 From the developers website:
Fixed issues and features [with respect to the orininal RedMon]
     *  On Windows Terminal Server or Windows XP with fast user switching, the
       "Prompt for filename" dialog will appear on the current session.
     * "SaveAs" now shows XP style dialogs if running under XP
     * Support for PDF Security added - experimental -.
     * Support for setting the task priority - experimental -
     * Use of file-shares as output
     * Environment variables are passed to the AfterWorks Process now.
     * Environment variables are replaced in the program arguments. No
workaround is needed.
     * RedMon EE comes with an RPC communication feature which could transfer
       output-files back to the client starting the print job on a print server.
       Error messages will be send to the client.
     * Redmon EE may start a process after the print job has finished (After
works process).
       e.g. starting a presentation program to show the pdf generated by
GhostScript.
     * additional debug messages may be written for error analysis.
       No special debug version is needed.
     * user interface has been rewritten. May be it's more friendly.
       Added some basic system information which may help if running in failures.
     * new feature: running on a print server.
     * cleanup of documentnames "Microsoft -"
     * define templates for output-file names with full environment variable
substitution
       e.g. %homedrive%\%homedir%\%redmon-user%-%date%-%time%-%n.pdf
     * RedMon EE does not support for NT 3.5 and Windows 95/98 !

-Thynnus