urllib2 disable proxy

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis at gmx.net
Thu Jan 3 12:23:21 EST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Rob Wolfe wrote:

> Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis at gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I've been looking for a way to explicitly disable the use of proxies with
>> urllib2, no matter what the environment dictates. Unfortunately I can't find
>> a way in the documentation, and reading the source leads me to believe that
>> something like the following does the job:
>>
>> req.set_proxy(None,None)
>>
>> Where req is a urllib2.Request instance. So is there an official way of doing
>> this? Perhaps it should be added in the documentation?
>
> I believe that the recommended way is to use `urllib2.ProxyHandler`.
> Take a look at:
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/urllib2.shtml

Thanks for the pointer, I will use that way. However it seems rather
non-elegant way to do something so simple and I was hoping not to mess
with ProxyHandler, especially since I want *no* proxy... IMHO something
like the following would be more elegant:

req.set_proxy('','http')

or

req.set_proxy(None,'http')

However these ways *don't* work. You think I should file a feature request
somewhere or send this to the python-dev list?

Thank you for the help,
Dimitris