C++ equivalent of comp.lang.python?

Leo Jay python.leojay at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 10:00:02 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 1:39 AM,  <brzrkr0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hopefully this isn't too OT.
>
> One thing I like about comp.lang.python is the breadth of topics
> discussed here.  People can ask about Python installation and
> configuration issues on specific platforms, compare third party
> libraries, ask for book recommendations, and discuss current Python
> projects.  Lurking here has greatly increased my understanding of
> Python over the last year or so.
>
> I also do a lot of C++ development, but I've never found a similar
> discussion group for that language.  comp.lang.c++ isn't what I'm
> looking for.  I find it hard to get practical advice on that group
> because its focus is so narrow.  I frequently see posters there
> redirect people to one of the OS-specific C++ groups, but most of my
> projects are cross-platform, so hanging out on one of those doesn't

if you can't use the standard library or any existing third-party library
to solve your problem, that's platform specific. so, find the right group
and ask there.

> make sense either.  As an example, I was recently trying to get
> information about writing cross-platform code for dynamic linking, but
> I couldn't find anywhere appropriate to ask about it.

as to dynamic linking, afaik, i don't think you can deal with it in a
consistent way. you'd better find a third-party library or handle all platforms
one by one manually.

--
Best Regards,
Leo Jay