docstrings style question

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jan 10 02:51:44 EST 2008

Steve Brown wrote:

> I've got a series of modules which look like this:
>
> #************
> #
> # Temperature Sense Test
> #
> #************
> class Test3(ar_test.AR_TEST):
>     """Temperature Sense Test"""
>

> I don't like the duplicated information: But the comment is attractive, and
> the docstring self.__doc__ is already in use in the test log. I've read that
> all modules and classes should have docstrings, but I don't really have
> anything else to say, and each module contains only one class. I don't think
> that
>
> """Temperature Sense Test"""
> class Test3(ar_test.AR_TEST):
>     """Temperature Sense Test"""
>
> would be a real improvement.
>
> What do you think?

since you already seem to cater to your audience (clearly marked
comments for people browsing the code, brief docstrings for the test
log), I don't really see why you should change anything.

 > I've read that all modules and classes should have docstrings

if nobody's going to read them, there's no reason to add them.  don't
treat generic style advice as dogma.

</F>