encrypting python modules

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jan 11 20:44:22 EST 2008

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <bj_666 at gmx.net> writes:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:47:26 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > Trying to make bits uncopyable and unmodifiable is like trying to
> > make water not wet.
>
> Certainly not.  I can put water into the freezer

Turning it into ice, and making it not useable as water. So, to the
extent you've made it not-wet, you've also made it not-water.

To torture the analogy further, this would be equivalent to engraving
the bits in stone and sealing the whole in a concrete slab. While
still technically the bits can be extracted, the extent to which they
are uncopyable and unmodifiable is exactly the extent to which they
are useless as bits. As soon as they become available for use as
digital bits in some way, they become available for copying and
modifying again.

--
 \      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of |
  `\            thought which they avoid."  -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard |