inode number in windows XP

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Jan 25 12:50:22 EST 2008

On 25 ene, 10:28, asit <lipu... at gmail.com> wrote:

> why this program shows ambiguous behavior ??
>
> st=os.stat(file_name)
> print "file size", "=>",st[stat.ST_SIZE]
> print "inode number", "=>",st[stat.ST_INO]
> print "device inode resides on", "=>",st[stat.ST_DEV]
> print "number of links to this inode", "=>",st[stat.ST_NLINK]
>
> i ran this program in Winows XP SP2 in python 2.5.

Using my recently repaired crystal ball, I see that you don't get what
you expect for some of those fields. All files sharing the same inode,
by example.
The usual file systems used by Windows aren't built around the inode
concept, they're different, so there is no "inode number" to report,
among other things. From http://docs.python.org/lib/os-file-dir.html
"On Windows, some items are filled with dummy values". Don't rely on
anything but st_mode, st_size, and st_[cma]time, and perhaps a few
more for fstat.

--
Gabriel Genellina