Fwd: Re: Problems installing Python on server

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 31 10:31:43 EST 2008

>> Go to the ReadME file after you unpack
>> python.
>> Open  and look for   "Installing".
>> Read the section, it explains how to
>> install on the entire system and how to
>> install locally.
>> "Make altinstall"  is what you are looking
>> for.
>>
>> jim-on-linux
>> http:\\www.inqvista.com

> Will the "make install" make my Python the
>  default one? If I want to install some
>  Python modules, will I need to alter their
>  installation as well or will it see my
>  Python version as the right one to install
>  too?

The "default one"? That's just the one that runs when a user enters the

     python

command, right? "make install" will install Python wherever you told the
configure utility to build it for. "make altinstall" is a convenience
method that (IIRC) builds for /usr/local/bin.

Generally speaking when you install an extension or other module,
nowadays you use the command

     python setup.py install

The installation takes place in whichever copy of Python runs setup.py,
so with a "default" /usr/bin/python and an "alternate"
/usr/local/bin/python, to install a module in the alternate you would run

     /usr/local/bin/python setup.py install

The same is true of a Python you have installed somewhere under your
home directory.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119