reliable whois in python

Nikolas Karalis nikolaskaralis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 23:22:36 EST 2008

I had done a project part of which was what you want to do. You can find it
here...
http://users.ntua.gr/ge04042/projects/dns/
Feel free to use the code.
I hope this helps.

Nikolas

On Jan 15, 2008 5:48 AM, eliss <eliss.carmine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to write a python script to whois a few domains twice a day
> so I get notified when they become available. I did it 2 ways, but
> neither way is very reliable, so I'm asking here.
>
> 1) I tried just calling "whois %s" using popen, but I found that once
> every few weeks, I get errors like:
> connect: No route to host OR
> fgets: Connection reset by peer
> I don't think it's a connectivity issue because looking up the other
> domains that day works, and just one domain will give an error. So
> it's probably more like a networking issue? I don't know...
>
> 2) I tried using sockets to connect to the whois port of
> whois.internic.net and then read the info, which works a little better
> than 1). However, sometimes this is not reliable too and I get errors.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this better?
>
> Thanks,
>
> eliss
> --

Nikolas Karalis
Applied Mathematics and Physics Undergraduate
National Technical University of Athens, Greece
http://users.ntua.gr/ge04042