Python Standardization: Wikipedia entry

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 28 22:27:33 EST 2008

"Paddy" <paddy3118 at googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:4dc87a25-1d90-4b66-8fa4-d0d41f48344e at i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
|I would value the opinion of fellow Pythoneers who have also
| contributed to Wikipedia, on the issue of "Is Python Standardized".

Depends entirely on the operative meaning of standardized.  Formal
standards body? Obviously no.

Specified in a standard-setting document? Yes.  In fact, in someways,
Python is better standardized that C, for instance, in that the Python
standard usefully standardizes some things that the C standard leaved
unstandardized as 'implementation defined'.

Example 1. Order of evaluation of function arguments.  Python: left to
right.  C: undefined (and unstandardized), I believe.

Example 2: Strings for Infinity and Not-A-Number.  Python: will standardize
in 2.6 to hide the variation in C implementations (or is Microsoft just
non-compliant here?).