Fortran to Python

Evgenii Rudnyi usenet at rudnyi.ru
Sat Jan 5 11:12:50 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2:21 pm, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmo... at in-
nomine.org> wrote:
> I got someone who asked me to make changes in an old Fortran program she is
> using for some calculations.
> The calculations are pretty standard aside from 2 calls to DLINCG (an IMSL
> numerical_libraries function to calculate an inverse matrix).
>
> What I wonder about, does anybody have a Fortran to Python conversion page
> somewhere to map some of the basic types to Python equivalents?
> What kind of speed difference should I expect?

When it comes to matrices the difference can be quite big. You can
find the comparison of NumPy, Fortran 77, C, and C++ for matrix
multiplication with and without optimized BLAS at

http://matrixprogramming.com/MatrixMultiply/

NumPy interfaces optimized BLAS, and you can find a LAPACK interface
in SciPy, so it is a good choice.

Evgenii