os.rename() problems on OS X

Fri Jan 11 21:47:35 EST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:29:24 -0800, lukas wrote:

> hello,
>
> i recently had the job of having to rename about 200 files. The source
> for the renaming was a bunch of names in a file. I know next to nothing
> when it comes to bash scripting (which would have seemed the obvious
> choice) so i used python. The files i was renaming were canon raw files
> (.CR2). my problem is that after i rename the files, OS X will no longer
> render the thumbnails for the files, and preview is no longer the
> default app for viewing them. Does anyone have an idea as to why this
> is? Thanks for the help :)

Did you rename them to "file001.TXT" etc.?

Sarcasm aside, you don't give us enough information to answer the
question, but I can make some vague suggestions:

What did you rename them to?

Do the files still have a .CR2 extension?

What is the default app for viewing them now?

Have you tried forcing OS X to reload the directory? (I assume there is a
"Refresh" command somewhere in the user interface.)

If you Get Info about the file, what does it tell you?

Does OS X have a concept of file type and file creator meta-data, like
the old classic Mac operating system did? If so, have you changed them?

--
Steven