Problems installing Python on server

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 17:09:50 EST 2008

On 28 jan, 22:28, Yansky <thegoodd... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I asked my hosting company if they would upgrade Python on my server
> to the latest version. They responded with:
>
> "Sorry no. We tend to stick with what comes packaged with the unix
> distribution to ease maintenance issues.
>
> There is nothing stopping you from running your own version of python
> from within your own account. Download the source and compile it and
> install it into your own space. Adjust the fist line of your python
> scripts to reflect the location of YOUR python binary:
>
> #! /home/youraccount/yourlibs/python
>
> and you should be all set."
>
> The build instructions for Python are:
> To start building right away (on UNIX): type "./configure" in the
> current directory and when it finishes, type "make". This creates an
> executable "./python"; to install in usr/local, first do "su root" and
> then "make install".

This is the "default" install. You want to have a look at the ./
configure flags (doing ./configure --help) and set the right options
for your custom install.

> The problem is, I don't have root access to the server so I can't do
> the "make install".

You don't need root access to install in your own home directory -
this is only needed to do a system wide install.

> I have ubuntu on my computer, but from what I
> understand I can't compile it on that and upload it because the server
> runs Red Had and the ./configure would have made it incompatible
> right?

Indeed

> So how can I build Python without root access?

cf above : type ./configure --help, read on, set appropriate options,
and proceed !-)

HTH