TK 8.5

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Tue Jan 1 13:15:33 EST 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> But I found nothing about Tk 8.5 ?
>
> Python is not tied to any specific Tk version; you can use
> any Python release with any Tk version, most of the time.
>
> Hence, there is no need to talk about this very much. That
> Python "supports" Tk 8.5 is too minor to mention - I think
> even Python 2.4 supports Tk 8.5.

In terms of building and linking Python to Tk 8.5, this is certainly true.

However, I think most people who ask about Python "supporting" Tk 8.5
are probably asking how easily can the new features in Tk 8.5 be
accessed from Python, particularly the platform-specific themed widgets.
The answer to that question is, "At present, not very easily." There is
currently no support at all in lib-tk for themed widgets, for instance.
The external Tile.py module that I maintain at
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper works well enough, but as
I am not the original author of this module, I cannot really offer it
for inclusion in the core Python distribution. As such, someone will
have to step up and write a new implememtation.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin