Newbie question on Classes

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Jan 11 16:07:55 EST 2008

On Jan 11, 9:27 am, "Reedick, Andrew" <jr9... at ATT.COM> wrote:
> [...]

Not a good idea, because gc is an implementation artifact and in fact
is specific to the C Python implementation; you won't find it in e.g.
Iron Python or Jython.

Not a good idea, because you are replacing iterating over a collection
of all the objects of interest (and *only* those of interest) with a
clumsy [see below] rummage through a potentially far much larger
collection of objects.

> import gc
> from random import random
>
> class Person:
>     def __init__(self):
>         self.data= random() * 1000 + 1
>
>     def WhoAmI(self):
>         return self.data
>
> a = Person()
> b = Person()
>
> for i in gc.get_objects():
>     try:
>         # classes have __class__ and __dict__ defined according to the
> docs

Again, implementation artifacts.

>         if i.__class__ and i.__dict__ :

In general, i.__dict_ could be empty. You probably mean
     hasattr('__dict__')

>             print i.__class__
>             if str(i.__class__) == '__main__.Person':

and what if the class is not defined in __main__ but in some other
module?

Have you considered
    i.__class__ is Person
or the usual (and underscore-free) idiom
    isinstance(i, Person) ?

>                 print "\tI am", i.WhoAmI()
>     except:
>         pass

Blindly ignoring all possible exceptions is A Very Bad Idea.